You have made the decision to undergo the cosmetic surgery you have dreamed of for a while. Now, you just have to go through the process with a calmly and confident attitude.
It is common that you feel more and more nervous as the big day draws closer.
To feel more relaxed, we advise you to meet or contact the staff that is following up your procedure in order to respond any doubts you may have or recap important information to remember for the day of your surgery.
BEFORE GOING OUT OF YOUR HOUSE TO GET TO YOUR SURGERY:
- Wear a comfortable, easy to remove outfit. You will be asked to take it off when you are moved to your room and prepared for the surgery.
- Gather all the information of your medical history, including studies or diagnosis of direct family members diseases.
- Ask if you can fill up, to expedite things, personal information forms or the requirements needed before arriving to the clinic.
AT YOUR ARRIVAL TO THE HOSPITAL OR CLINIC, VERIFY:
- Is it clean, organized, and conveys a professional environment?
- Are the reception staff and the nurses polite?
- Can you validate with a number if the clinic has an operating permit?
- Is the clinic’s environment warm and cozy?
IF YOU ARE GOING TO YOUR SURGERY, BUT IT IS THE FIRST TIME YOU WILL HAVE PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE STAFF, YOU MUST MENTION:
- Medication that you are taking (or took) and their doses, from Aspirins to antibiotics.
- Herbs and diet supplements that you are taking.
- Detected allergies.
- Other surgeries that you have undergone.
- Any problems you may have had in past surgeries such as nausea and vomiting.
WHAT QUESTIONS CAN YOU ASK THE CLINIC STAFF OR THE SURGEON TO MAKE YOU FEEL SAFE AND CALM?
Where is the surgery taking place? By choosing a clinic and a surgeon that are certified and that can prove that they comply with their national law, you can be sure that the procedure will be done following the highest safety standards.
What will happen during the surgery? It is necessary to meet with the medical staff that is following up your procedure in the clinic, so they can tell you the type of anesthesia, the approximate length of the procedure, as well as the type of technique or approach that will be carried out during the procedure.
Who and how many medical staff members will be present? You have the right to meet the group of professionals that will be with you before, during, and after the surgery process. Besides the surgeon, there can be an anesthesiologist, nurses, and interns.
Which are the risks? It is very important to know which are the most common risks for the type of surgery that you will undergo. You should also know with certainty, which are the probabilities of a complication.
How to prepare myself?
Before your surgery you need to find out:
- If you need some type of pre-operative lab exam.
- If you should start taking any medication.
- If you should stop eating or drinking at a specific time the day before the surgery.
- If you can o should start an exercise routine or improve your diet to increase the probability of good results.It is possible that you MUST limit or avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and certain specific medications. Try to investigate which elements (clothes, accessories) are needed for after the surgery to be as comfortable as possible.
Also important is the post-operatory care. You need to make sure you know all you can and cannot do after the surgery.
The basic info you need to gather is how long you will be in the hospital, if you´ll need special care for your wounds after being discharged and which medications you will take to ease the pain and discomfort.
Taking time off from work, is recommended for a better care. When recovering, you may even need to organize your home life and your children.
For your follow up visit, it is recommended to be accompanied by a family member or close friend who can take notes or make questions you might have missed when you were released from the hospital after your surgery.
One thing is for certain, when you get all the answers to your questions, you will feel more confident as the big day comes closer.
Do not miss out and start your evolution today! Contact us and we can help you all the way.